Cloud security refers to complex and structured processes, guidelines, and best practices deployed to protect data hosted or stored in the cloud. Cloud security provides a blanket of security to protected infrastructure and networks, protecting devices and systems against breaches and delayed denial of service attacks.
Cloud computing has given birth to cloud security. Cloud computing is simply the delivery of software, storage, and hardware solutions over the internet. Benefits such as flexibility, scalability, low up-front costs, and reduced operational complexities have made cloud computing popular among organizations.
What Cloud Security Entails:
Cloud security includes the following components, practices, and guidelines:
- Access control
- Cloud application security
- Datacenter security
- User security
- Network security
- Threat detection and mitigation
- Regulatory compliance
A well-designed internet security will avert all IT-related security risks and help your enterprise optimize limitless possibilities in cloud computing. By using advanced cloud computing solutions, enterprises get to optimize maximum use and protection, making it possible to achieve operational efficiency and business continuity.
Some Cloud Security Solutions Include:
- Access control and security management. Cloud security provides access control and security management that is defined based on the concept of the least principle. That means that users and user groups access resources they are supposed to access. Unauthorized personnel are locked out of protected resources, only authorized personnel access critical resources.
- Data masking and encryption. Data masking and encryption are often regulatory requirements, especially for the privacy and security of sensitive data. Encryption is central, especially in monitoring incoming and outgoing messages. It helps to safeguard data integrity, ensuring maximum accountability in information exchanges.
- Threat intelligence. Cloud security is now evolving with changing times. Threat intelligence involves monitoring threats and keeping track of the changing cyber threat landscape.
- Security configuration. Microsoft 365 comes with an inbuilt Microsoft Defender security feature that offers automatic email and attachment security configurations. Cloud security embeds a similar security configuration feature that secures vulnerabilities anytime there’s a security issue or misconfiguration.
- Incidence response. Cloud security captures regular incident response plans including user education and regular data back-ups to enable organizations to recover promptly from security incidents or data breaches. Incidence response is a critical part of disaster recovery and business continuity processes.
Risks Associated with Cloud Computing Security
Cloud security is focused extensively on minimizing risks faced by organizations and institutions using cloud solutions. Cloud security aims to ensure maximum business continuity in case of attacks or disasters in the cloud or threats targeting cloud resources (data, information, or assets). The main risks associated with cloud computing security include:
- IP theft, data theft, or loss
- Identity theft
- Malware infections
- Unauthorized access to mission-critical business operations
- Loss of control over end-user actions
- Revenue losses and financial damage
- Damaged reputation and lost brand positioning
- Delayed denial-of-service attacks
- Breach of stakeholder trust (customers, employees, partners) and reduced reputation
Shared Responsibility in Cloud Security
Emerging evidence shows that cloud security is a shared responsibility between the service provider and the client. The shared responsibility model of cloud security has three categories: provider responsibility, customer responsibility, and service model responsibility. The shared responsibility model captures roles and requirements emanating from using any of these infrastructures: infrastructure as a service, software as a service (like the cloud), or platform as a service.
Benefits of Cloud Security:
A cloud security solution offers proactive threat management solutions. That is because dedicated cloud engineers and architects ensure that all your endpoints are protected. A cloud security solution captures tracking, visibility, matured process, and industry-leading technology.
A robust and proactive cloud solution provides end-to-end security to the whole data lifecycle: from conception to completion. Critical data resources must be protected using multi-factor authentication, encryption, and passwords. Tested back-ups must also be applied to ensure data security.
The IT and data regulatory landscape is dynamic and forever changing, which calls for enterprises to deploy appropriate measures and practices. For instance, organizations are required by the HIPAA and GDPR to deploy appropriate measures to safeguard protected health information PHI or any other consumer data from unauthorized access or breach.
Cloud security provides scalable solutions which ensure that businesses can scale safeguards up and down depending on fluctuations in demands and costs. For instance, the demand for security coverage can be high for certain periods, demanding organizations increase expenditure on security protocols and controls. This ensures scalability, providing cost-saving opportunities and ensuring the best use of available security resources.
Availability and Support
Cloud security providers are available 24/7 whether during downtimes or when faced with a serious breach. High availability means that service providers can keep the business-critical systems running and highly secured despite critical component failures.
Bastionpoint – Kick-starting Your Journey with Cloud Security
Before a critical cyber incident hits your infrastructure and twists your hand, as a matter of priority, take the time to consider cloud security. Consider tightening the security of your cloud platform. An emerging body of research showed that 75% of cyber incidents emanate from privilege mismanagement; which means that authorized personnel tasked with critical infrastructure are likely to be targets of cyber-attacks.
Contact Bastionpoint to kick-start your journey towards cloud security.