Cybersecurity should not be limited to the home, office, or classroom. It is essential to practice safe online behavior and secure our Internet-enabled mobile devices whenever we travel, especially abroad! Your phones and devices are always searching for familiar networks, and the more things we access on the go, the more risks we can face.
Here are a few tips if you’re doing some exploring over the next few months.
IT Recommendations before vacation
- Update your mobile software.
- Back up your information.
- Keep your devices locked.
IT Recommendations while on vacation
- Be Aware.
- Stop Auto Connecting via Wireless and Bluetooth.
- Think before you connect. Free isn’t always good, especially with Wi-Fi.
- Be on guard for suspicious emails and texts.
- Keep your mobile device with you.
- Be mindful of location sharing on social media.
- Avoid Using Public Computers. (Hotel Lobbies, Libraries, etc.)
- Make a copy of your tickets, itinerary, and ID’s to keep with you at all times. (Separate of your authentic documents.)
- Carry a small amount of traveling cash.
- Have a contingency plan in case you lose your personal information or data device.
Leave it WITH the pros while you travel
Bastionpoint Technology takes pride in providing a security stack to all its managed clients that help mitigate issues you may experience while traveling. If you’re planning on traveling abroad or taking a sabbatical, we are more than happy to talk about the security climate in the area you’re traveling to so that you can be prepared for things you may run into. Will you need travel adapters for your device? See, I’ve got you thinking now!
While these tips are helpful for travelers, you can also apply them when you’re home. Cyber threats will always be there. Nevertheless, you should be extra careful if you’re traveling because an attack when you’re away from your home and your support system can be stressful.
Check out more tips from the CISA about Cybersecurity while traveling!
We’re happy to talk to you and see how we can help you improve your business!